What is Family Law in India?
Family law, sometimes called matrimonial law or law of domestic relations is the common section of laws which deals anything related to family matters in 28 jurisdictions. In India, the main purpose of family courts is to dispose of cases relating to family matters smoothly and effectively.
Family courts of India are influenced by the jurisdiction of the USA, England and China.
We provide counsel to individuals and families mainly in Kolkata and we work with all of our esteemed clients to develop a legal strategy tailored to specific needs.
Our family law practice includes:
- Marriage, emancipation and approval of underage marriages, divorce, annulment, alimony, visitation
- Child protective proceedings
- Juvenile matters
- Paternity and child custody
- Property settlement
- Cross-border issues
- Protection orders against domestic violence
- Name changes
There are five legal boards embodied in family laws in India, which are:
- Hindu Law (1955): governs all Hindus, Buddhist, Jains and Sikhs
- Muslim Law or Shariat Law: governs all Muslims
- Christian Law (Marriage Act 1872 and Divorce Act 1869): governs all Christian
- Parsi Law (1869): governs all Parsis
- Special Marriage act (1954) or secular law
As per The Family Court Act, 1984, every city or town (with over 10 lakhs of the population) have family courts by the State Government in India. The impact of family laws and courts is that it is a social and beneficial legislation.
Call Us For Family lawyer in Kolkata : +91-98743-71127
When you are searching for a trusted family lawyer near me , schedule your consultation today with Advocate Shilpi Das & Ak Legal Advisors in Kolkata by making a call on +91 98743 71127 or contact us online. We have several years of experience working with Indian family law matters.
When it comes to your family, we believe we are the best to help you in every possible way.